EICRs & PAT Testing

Home > EICRs & PAT Testing

The Electrical Safety Standards in the Private Rented Sector (England) Regulations 2020 are new laws made by the government. These laws say that if you’re a landlord who rents out a home, you must make sure that the electrical wiring and equipment in the home are safe. To do this, you need to have a qualified person check them every five years. After the check, you must get a report that shows if everything is okay or if there are problems. You have to give a copy of this report to your tenants within 28 days, and you must keep a copy until the next check.

Key Dates for These Rules:

  1. From July 1, 2020 – For New Tenants: If someone moves into your rental property on or after this date, you have to give them a report saying the electricals are safe before they start living there.
  2. From April 1, 2021 – For All Existing Tenants: If you already have tenants living in your property, you must give them a copy of a report that shows the electricals are safe.

If your local housing authority asks for it, you have to show them the report within 7 days. The local housing authorities are in charge of making sure landlords follow these rules, and they can make you fix any problems. If you don’t follow these rules, you might have to pay a fine of up to £30,000.

Here are some terms to help you understand better:

  • EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report): This is a document that shows if the electrical wiring and things like sockets and switches in a property are safe. It’s like a health check for the electricity in the home and is usually good for 5 years.
  • PAT Test (Portable Appliance Test): This is a safety check for things like kettles, TVs, lamps, and other things with a plug. It’s recommended to be done every 12 months.

It’s really important to make sure the electricals in your rental property are safe for your tenants. An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is the best way to keep an eye on the electricals in your property. If you need electricians to do EICRs for you, whether you’re a landlord or a letting agent, please get in touch with us.